Withdrawals

I read a horrifying article today about aspartame. Now, I admit that I have a problem. 4-8 Diet Dr. Peppers every day is a problem. For the longest time, I have convinced myself that. because these are diet sodas, it's not a big deal. After reading this article though, I have come to a turning point.
Is all of the information in the article true? I have no idea. Maybe, Maybe not. But, I think that it probably does have some factual information. Friends in the medical profession have been telling me for years that aspartame is bad for you. I was deaf to the warnings though. Deaf by choice.
The article discusses a laundry list of ailments that are either caused by or exacerbated by aspartame use. There are SO MANY ailments listed, that naturally they were bound to hit on at least one of my chronic problems. But that many???
I guess what I am saying is, even if the article is a bunch of sensationalized crap, it's worth cutting out the diet soda anyway. Even if the article is bogus, soda really isn't good for me. Further, the last time my weight got down to 125 lbs (5 years ago), I had sworn off soda. I drank water only after reading about how aspartame causes weight gain, (Ironic when it is THE ingredient used in most diet goodies). And when I started drinking soda again....the cravings began, and I was stuffing my face.
In the interest of saving my marriage though, I am going to slowly wean myself from the soda. Barry said,
You are hell to live with when you go cold turkey. So please detox slowly.I will finish tonight's soda. Then 2 tomorrow and for a day or two after that. Then 1 a day. Then 1 a week. One a week doesn't seem unreasonable does it.
Or am I trying to justify my addiction again?
2 comments:
OH Dena,
I was thinking of you today as I bought my 12 pack of DR PEPPER.
I need to stop drinking it too! I have been cutting down, but I need my DR. BTW-My dentist loves me drinking DR PEPPER.... LOL
I am going to read your artical!
*sigh* There are just no vices left for us common folk, are there?!?
I gotta do this, too. I swore I'd do it before I TTCed, but maybe I should do it earlier. Darn you, Dena! ;)
Post a Comment