The Old Man is Snoring
And what makes the old man snore? We finally got some rain. And it was a heck of a storm! At around 9PM it hit. I had to get into the car and go pick Cory up from the mall. The minute I stepped out my door, I knew I was in trouble. It was coming down in sheets, and I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. But, I had no choice, I had to get Cory. So with a prayer and fingers crossed, I took off.
It had only been raining for minutes, but the streets were already flooded if that will give you an idea of the magnitude of this storm. I was driving without being able to see. I was shaking and SCARED! I did manage to drive like a reasonable person though, in spite of all that unusual wet stuff falling around me. I could see headlights, and I could see streetlights and stoplights and THAT WAS IT! The whole time I was cursing my beloved son under my breath, and repeating my prayer over and over, A reasonable person would have pulled over. Not ME! I just kept driving. You see, the mall was closed, and the idea of my baby out in this was a stronger motivator than common sense.
Of course, I ran into road construction, and my left turn was closed. The sign was down, and arguably, I could have made the turn and gotten away with it. But I chose to drive on and circle back. I finally got to the mall, and the boys were nowhere to be found. CRAP! I was sure they had gotten on the bus and I had driven in that deluge for no reason. After asking around, I finally found them.
Fortunately by now, it was just raining hard. I can handle that. We headed home, but I had to drop friends off first. I turn onto the street I needed, only to find it flooded. And I had to just keep going. Backing up into a major street wasn't an option. Some clever bystander took my picture as I drove into the flood with water up to my car doors.
Remember my comments the other day about idiots getting stuck in flooded areas? I take it all back!!!!!
All the retention basins are full. Some to overflowing. Trees are down. And it is supposed to rain for a few more hours. The streets are full of debris, and the sidewalks are covered with rocks from yards flooding. This is a good old fashioned frog-strangler of a storm.
This may seem like a whole lot of little to those of you who live where it rains more than once a year and only a drizzle then. But for us.......This is EXTRAORDINARY!
2 comments:
I feel your pain, sis, I definitely feel your pain! We had another thunderstorm tonight and fortunately we didn't have to drive in it. Water up to your doors?!? I'm SO glad you guys didn't get washed away!!
Well, you have proven you aren't the Wicked Witch since you didn't melt in all that water!!! LOL
The motivation to get your baby was all you needed to guide you through the downpour!! What a mom that rocks! :)
~j
Post a Comment