Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Damn! And Other Random Outbursts and Thoughts....

Damn! The price of copper is dropping and the company's stock prices have fallen drastically. The recession/depression has hit the area. Everyone is wondering who is going to get laid off and when. Everyone is tightening belts. Rumors are flying fast and furious. Even at my work things have changed. Not as many people coming and and there are only two topics of conversation when they do come in. The election and the economy (meaning the mine primarily). So far, Barry hasn't been laid off. We got word on Friday that 20 were being let go. And as of today, we aren't aware of anyone being let go. I have recommended to Barry that we just dig in and wait it out. My family always survived this in the past. We can survive again. My Great Grandfather worked at that mine, as did both Grandfathers, three of my four uncles (my Mom's only brother escaped the mine) and of course my Dad. Currently there are countless cousins up there...including one from my generation who is a supervisor and knows what's up before everyone else so we are getting facts instead of rumors...also working in that hole are my mother, brother-in-law, nephew-in-law and of course my husband.

I recall now that this was one of the reasons why I swore to never be a copper miner's wife. The uncertainty in the hard times is bad. But, having lived through the crash of the real estate market in Mesa, I am willing to wait it out here for the steady pay and fantastic insurance plan.

Emily is getting ready to play basketball. She was ADAMANT that she wasn't going to play, but changed her mind. Her friends are playing. The coach is really patient and if he can't teach her to play basketball, no one can. He tried to teach me. I understood how to play. I just sucked at it. I preferred sitting in the bleachers and watching him play to actually playing.

I found a thrift store in Safford that has had everything on sale for weeks at $.50 per item!!!! $.50 effing cents!!!!! I got Emily 2 Hollister shirts and some Gap and Abercrombie and Fitch. She was so excited. Daisy even bought clothes. (I am starting to get peeks of the girl who has been hiding in the tomboy. Puberty is coming, and I suspect that like me, she will become a girl who is glad to be a girl at that point.)

My dishes are done.

I love my crock pot.

I miss Cory so much that it is an actual physical ache. I want my baby boy here with me so desperately. Even if just for a visit. I keep waiting for him to walk around the corner and surprise me. But, I can't get away from here because of commitments, work, and a bum transmission in my van. And he has no car at all. Maybe for Thanksgiving we can swing it.

That's it. No more to say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tweet Tweet - signed up for Twitter - per your request!! but I think that all these app's are preventing me from actually accomplishing anything in a day! Our economy is just getting worse and worse here in Canada too - we are on the brink of recession - I know my summer stats from work were waaaay down - sad sad...I am laid off now - and know that I am so frigging glad to have Christmas shopped all summer. One less thing to fret over...no wonder we're emotional huh??

janna said...

I hear ya, my dh is going through it this too. He works in the building materials industry.