I Hate Chickens.
I don't know if I have ever mentioned this, but I hate chickens. My Grandpa used to have hundreds of them, and the blasted things chased me all of the time. Now, I am scared to death of chickens. Which is ridiculous. One well placed kick and the chicken is no longer chasing me but is dinner instead.
Doesn't matter. I hate chickens.
We have chickens here. The previous renter couldn't catch some of his, so he left them behind. They haven't bothered me at all. They keep to themselves. I keep to myself. We have an arrangement, and they are tolerable.
Yesterday, Willy told me we have a new chicken. ?????? Where did this thing come from. He's a big ol' red rooster. He must have gotten away from someones house. I guess I could put his face on a milk carton. Maybe an egg carton would be better. For now though. He is here.
Unless I kill him.
Last night, as we were settling down. Something kept banging against the window air conditioner in our room. I need to remove it, but have no storage space to put it. Anyway.....bang bang bang. It finally stopped and I went to sleep. I got up at 4:30 (snoozed till after 5:00 oops!) to get Barry off to work. Then, went back to sleep for a few minutes. Every minute is golden when it's stolen sleep between things that have to be done. At 6:00, my alarm went off. I got the kids up to feed the goats and get ready for school, then laid back down.
When it began. The crowing of that blasted rooster. As he gave voice to his solar greeting, I remembered the other reason I hate chickens. They make noise in the morning. On and on. He sounded like he was right below my window, so I looked.
Remember the banging against the air conditioner. Well, Foghorn Leghorn decided to roost there all night long. And he wasn't even facing the sun. He was facing my window. When I pulled the curtain aside, there he was in my face. I tried to shoo him to no avail. He kept crowing. Emily went outside and poked him repeatedly with my umbrella. He didn't budge. He did stop crowing after about 15 minutes, so it wasn't an all morning ordeal. But, I think the rooster is going to have to find his home. Not here. And soon.
3 comments:
Chicken stories are always good for a laugh. The Studio Crew has an affinity for chickens, so I guess you won't be joining us any time soon! LOL! I even have a chicken named after me!
Dena, you made me laugh so hard with your story.
Just like Becky, I have a namesake chicken running around somewhere in the country.
Sounds like a crazy night! I never liked chickens either - not that I've had a whole lot to do with them - but one time many years ago I "volunteered" to gather my neighbours eggs - NEVER again - man - I was dive-bombed and pecked to pieces! Damn chickens........LOL!
Post a Comment