Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Cupboard Under the Stairs

We have one. We really do. We've had it longer than we have known about Harry Potter. When we purchased this house, we knew that it had NO closet space. The previous owner had cut a door into the space under the stairs from the garage side and added a light fixture. But since we can never get into the garage due to Barry's accumulation of junk, we needed another door. We cut one in through the family room, and it looks awful. Hopefully when we renovate, we can make it look nice.

Anyway, it has been used for storage. But I recently realized that most of what was in there was junk. And the kids have been begging to have the space as their own personal hideout. Well, last night, I decided to clean it out.

I didn't think to take a picture when it was full of junk. And even if I had remembered, I don't know that I would have shared it :) But I do have a before (after I removed most of the junk) and after (now that the kids have claimed it as their own). They are in there right now, just having a great time, And giving their mother a much needed break from the screeching and the fighting LOL!

You can see from the picture that Homer just had to investigate!! And don't worry about the kids getting burned by the light bulb. It is a special flourescent bulb that doesn't heat up. Now I am going to buy some bean bag chairs and add some shelves. It's a great little retreat for the kids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is SO cool...I want to be a kid and live at your house!

Robin said...

What a cool little spot! Much nicer than the space Harry had!

ZeeLV said...

LOL! We have one under our stairs too, except we call it the Harry Potter room. Mine is QUITE packed with junk so poor Harry would not be allowed to stay in it even if he was so inclined. Congrats on carving out a niche for the kiddies...enjoy your momentary zen moment!

Anonymous said...

Good for you D! Everyone should be happy with this!

janna said...

how fun!!!