Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I finally bought my tickets. And for the first time ever, I am not keeping the kids home from school to celebrate Harry Potter Day. They have missed too much school, so we will go to a later showing. It was a hard choice on the time. I want to go to the midnight showing, but the kids would sleep through the whole thing. I could go alone, but the kids would hound me to take them. And we can't go Saturday during the day, because the kids all have soccer games. So I picked 7pm on the 18th. We will go early and have dinner next to the theater at Soup or Salad. I will drag in my cooler of sodas and candy. This theater allows outside food as long as it doesn't have a strong odor. Like popcorn. And I will save up the $50 for 2 small popcorns. Maybe I exaggerate, but not by much.

And then I will watch my movie. I never go to theaters to watch movies. It's just too blasted expensive, and I would rather buy the movie and watch it at home if I am going to spend that much. However, I make a few exceptions. Harry Potter movies being the #1 exception. (I also made exceptions for any movie where Anthony Hopkins played Hannibal Lecter). The movies have been so well done, and they make an excellent effort to stick to the books. I know that when you are condensing a 700+ page book into a 2 hour movie, some changes will have to be made. But the changes don't significantly change the story and that is important. And the casting has always been outstanding. I miss Richard Harris though. But, I would miss him regardless of Harry Potter because he has always been one of my favorite actors. He and Peter O'Toole have done some really amazing work. But I digress :)

And so, we will celebrate Harry Potter day a little later this year. But the hats will come out, and the wands, and the robes. We may look like fools, but we have a marvelous time!

9:42 PM EDIT****

In keeping with the whole Harry Potter theme for tonight, I found a book at Safeway of all places that I just had to have. It's called 'The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter - A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts. I am going to DEVOUR this book! It combines some of my greatest interests, HP of course, mythology, and folk religion. This is going to be a great read!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I can't wait either Dena! :)