Thursday, December 15, 2005

Time to Get On With It.

May 1986. I graduated from high school. But due to some snafu's with an idiot guidance counselor, I and several other New Mexico students didn't get our out-of-state waivers for attending Eastern Arizona College. I lived 2 miles across the border in Virden NM, and Virden students get a waiver to attend EA as resident students automatically. If they apply. We were never told about the application process, As a result,my fees were exorbitant for the semester, and I was only able to take TWO classes. This is the part where I blame others.

Now the part where I blame myself. I didn't have a good relationship with my father at the time. And him paying for my education was getting uncomfortable to say the least. He was doing it.....but I was really having to swallow my pride and take a lot of CRAP. So, at the end of my first semester of college, with 5 whole credits under my belt.....I decided to move to Phoenix. I thought I would get a job and put myself through school.

I realized too late, that supporting oneself, doesn't leave any time or money for classes. I should mention here, that my father made too much money for me to qualify for financial aid. So, I did a really really REALLY dumb thing. I gave up.

Move up now to March 1989. I get the news that I am pregnant. Unmarried, living with a disturbed man that I don't want to be with, and pregnant. Going back to school just wasn't going to happen.

Fast forward to September 1997. I decide to give distance learning a try. I take two classes which I then drop to one. You see, I had a newborn Daisy at this point. I get video cassettes and email my completed assignments in. In spite of the fact that I got A's on all assignments, and an unbelievable 100% on my midterm (history is MY subject), I have to withdraw from the class because my baby and young children need more of my time. So, once again....I gave up.

I have been promising myself for years I would try again. Well, today, I DID IT!. I enrolled in college. Just 3 courses to get me into the swing of it. There is a community college here that offers alternative learning, and degree programs. I am doing the online elementary education program. I can get my AA, and then all of the credits transfer to another online school where I can get my BA. Will school's seeking teachers honor this as a real degree you ask? I think so. There is a huge teacher shortage in my state. The state has been offering 6 week courses and teaching certificates to anyone who wants to take the course and already has a BA in ANY subject. I think they will take me and my online degree. Also, because of staggered start. I can do this in less than 4 years.

I will be over forty when I am done. But you know what? I don't care. I have wanted to be a teacher forever. And I am going to do it. And furthermore....I will be very good at it. I know this. I have worked with kids at church and doing my own daycare for years. It's something I love. And, if you can do something that you love, there is no better career.

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dena! This is WONDERFUL news! I'm just delighted to hear it. I sure am happy for you to be going after your dreams! Great news, and great job! :)

Ann

Jo said...

Congrats Dena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!! I've said it before and I'll say it again~we're a lot a like. At least we've had many of the semi-same life happenings.

Anyhow good for you!! You'll do GREAT! You'll be a awesome teacher~and age is NO factor!! I worked with a lady who was in school working on her masters in her late 40's as well as my own brother. He's a professional student going for various degrees in his mid 40's~he's been in school off and on since 1979.

You'll never regret this!!

janna said...

How cool Dena!!!

My just finished her BA degree at 60. & my Aunt graduated and became a teacher at 50. You can do & I am proud of you!!!

watch for a package. I sent it priority mail & should be there by Saturday!!
((((((HUGS))))

Anonymous said...

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! Live your dreams D! It's never too late! What an exciting career you have to look forward to!