Friday, March 10, 2006

Sugar Bugs, Rain, and General Malaise

Will has been complaining of a toothache, so I took him to the dentist today. It seems that he will need a pulpotomy (aka root canal in permanent teeth). We have been through this before with Daisy, who had 7 done 3 years ago. But Daisy went to my dentist....who is not a pediatric dentist. He isn't doing pediatric dentistry at all anymore. He referred us to Dr Michaud who is one of the best in the valley. Unfortunately, best = most expensive. It's hard though to say, "Gee, I know that you are the best, and that my son will get the best care...but I would rather pay for substandard care". Not that other dentists will be substandard, but by comparison...maybe not quite as good. KWIM?? If I had dental insurance, it would be different. But this is all coming out of pocket. I am going to stick with this dentist though, because I was just so favorably impressed with everyone in the office. I don't know...maybe I need to grow a pair and just pick someone in my price range. But I won't. I'll pay through the nose and keep reassuring myself that, "nothing is too expensive when it comes to my babies health". So he got a temporary filling (he is supposed to chew on the other side and eat no gummy things) as well as prescriptions just in case to get us through Spring Break. Then we will begin the process of dealing with his mouth.

Daisy stayed home from school today. Her blood sugar was low this morning, and no matter what we did to take care of the problem, she was still an hysterical mess. She just kept crying and saying she didn't know why she was crying. I am just so grateful that only one of my kids (so far) ended up with Barry's whacky metabolism and screwy brain chemicals. For those who don't know, Barry suffers from a mild form of rapid cycling Bi-Polar disorder. Life can be pretty hairy with him sometimes. Daisy is a little young to be presenting symptoms....but she is VERY clearly Daddy's girl. Add to that ADD (undiagnosed at this point, but her teacher and I both see it very clearly, and I need to get her into the doctor for a diagnosis) and Daisy has some difficulty. Today's meltdown seems to have been brought on by a long field trip yesterday to Tucson...I know she didn't get adequate calories on the bus...and she didn't get enough sleep yesterday. We are fortunate in her teacher though who understands. She also has ADD and a granddaughter who is hypoglycemic. What a great beginning to Spring Break.

Rain is in the forecast, but don't bother crossing anything. It did rain on the fringes of the Valley on Monday, and it us supposed to rain all day tomorrow. It really looks like we will get some rain this time, but again....don't cross anything. I have given up all hope. That way, if it does rain, I can be pleasantly surprised.

I am still recovering from that stomach thing. I don't want to get into the gross details...but remember when Bill Cosby described not being surprised to see your shoes come out when being sick....yup, that's how I felt. I am living on Gatorade and soup. I think it was food poisoning contracted from Taco Bell. For future reference...avoid the unsealed salsa in a cup that comes with the taco salad. As Nicholson said, "I've seen the help. It's a judgment call.".


ETA...Janna, I'll get my $5.00 off to you ASAP ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief - so sorry about little Mr.'s tooth - we are possibly looking at braces for Ethan - yeah right! Like we have $7 000 laying around!! Probably will not happen!! Poor Daisy - I know what that is like - before I was diagnosed with insulin resistance I would cry fro NO reason - or lots of other weird things too - I won't bore you with the details!! Hugs to everyone!!

Jo said...

Awwww...poor kiddo.. Poor mom and dad too~CRAZY that medical insurance won't take care of dental stuff!! It IS medical. Poor Daisy too, sounds like she needed a break. Hope your feelin' better kiddo. Hey and I'd LOVE to bottle up some of our rain and send it to ya~my yard and therefore courtesy of Jack, my house is a muddy, puddley mess with more on the way

janna said...

Sorry about Will's tooth, I know how much $ that cost's. Hailey had 4 pulpotmies this January. $$$ and we had insurance.

Maybe, a good long quiet weekend, Daisy will feel better.

As for the $5, do not worry about it. You have a $500 credit because you are pregnant.

(((((HUGS)))))