Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Peanut Butter and Contractions-Take Two

So, all day.....no contractions. After having them almost constantly, they stopped. And it was just a few minutes ago that I realized.....I have eaten no peanut butter today! Well, I hadn't. I just finished off a PB&J sandwich. Now, I will wait and see if the contractions start.

I looked online, and there are many many many references to preggo women eating PB, while having contractions. But they all seem to be women who are snacking during labor. So that begs the question, which came first, the PB or the contractions? Are women just not noticing the correlation? Barry was intrigued by this, and based on the many references he read, he feels sure that there is a correlation that has gone unnoticed. Perhaps PB does cause some contractions in women who are ripe for labor anyway. Maybe it only causes minor contractions. PB is high in fat and will cause colon contractions. Perhaps, like castor oil, it will also trigger uterine contractions. And PB is so much nicer to have than swallowing castor oil. It would have to be in large enough amounts. And at this point, I should explain, that I won't eat a PB&J sandwich unless it is about an inch thick (or so Cory complains) I do like it piled on. Hmmmmmmm. I may have to go eat another and see if things get kick-started.

What am I thinking????? I DON"T want to go into labor. I am having a nice, sterile, no labor c-section in 6 days. I don't need contractions.

But another PB&J sandwich sure sounds good!


ETA**** 2 contractions since PB intake. Odd, huh?

4 comments:

ZeeLV said...

Wow, I've never heard of that! Pretty weird, huh?

Anonymous said...

Very weird. I haven't heard of that either, but there is some salad that some pregnant women swear by to start contractions. They did a big thing about it on a talk show a few years ago. I was induced both times. Neither one of mine were anxious to hit this world, so I never had to worry about it!

Anonymous said...

That is v. weird... but it doesn't surprise me. God def. has a sense of humor and does weird stuff like that. :)

SIX MORE DAYS!! Weehoo! :)

love, me <><

Jo said...

Popped in to see if you'd updated~~making sure you're not gone yet;) Count me in as someone who hasn't heard of the peanut butter! Sex, walking and of course caster oil I've heard of for bringin' about contractions! lol~I kept havin' strong ones with dd. Didn't think they were "real" and I wanted to make it to my section date too...I went in on the day, got hooked up and the nurse says,"Do you know you're having contractions?"! NO!! REALLY??? lol:) You're ALMOST there!!