Frankentux
Cory is going to the prom this weekend. I found out about this 2 days ago......
Today we were rushing around and trying to get his tux. We went to the Men's Wearhouse. Tux rental was $109 plus tax and cleaning. It also didn't include a vest. Just the tux itself. In spite of my 20% discount, I could see that the price was going to grow. And grow. And I just didn't have the money.
So, we decided to rent just the vest and tie and pair it with a black suit. That would be acceptable. Until we were told that there would be a $20 express delivery fee to get the vest in on time. The tuxes don't have this fee because they are all shipped together. A vest alone would be a special order??? (made no sense to me either) Altogether it would be $50. To purchase a vest and tie would cost $60 less my 20%. Of course, we bought them instead.
Then, we started trying to scare up a suit. Cory has a friend who has one, but he had already gone to work. We would pass a Goodwill on the way home, so at Cory's suggestion, we decided to check it out. While I was looking at the suits, Cory was next to me looking at jackets and blazers. What did he find on the rack?? A tux jacket!!! IN HIS SIZE!!! Woo hoo!! This thing is from the Dynasty Collection LOL!!! WAY 80's, but this thing is in fantastic shape and isn't at all retro or out of style. It's just classic and perfect. And $7.99 !!!
Now, we need a white dress shirt. Cory has many, but just out of curiosity we decide to look for a pin tuck dress shirt. We find one. Only one. In Cory's size. For $4.99
Next, we went to shoes. There....in Cory's size, are the perfect black dress shoes. They need a shoelace, but SCORE!!! Shoes never seem to have a price on them, but it's Goodwill. How bad can it be?
Off to pants. I am hoping for decent black slacks. It's hard to find them in Cory's waist size, 30 inches. I get down to that size, and find one pair of black pants. But wait, they aren't just slacks....THEY ARE TUX PANTS!!!! They even have that satin ribboning up the side. OMG!!!! They are perfect. And they are $5.99. EVEN better, they are a PERFECT match to the jacket. I thought it might have been a set that had been broken up but it wasn't. It was just a lucky coincidence.
So here we had: a tux, shoes, and shirt (as well as a diet Dew for me and a Gatorade for Cory) for $28.00. TWENTY EIGHT FREAKING DOLLARS!!! You might think that a $28 tux would look cheap or trashed. Well, look at this!!!


Not bad, eh?
Cory calls it his Frankentux, and he is so happy to have it. He was worried about what he was going to end up with, and this is better than we could have imagined in our wildest dreams. Not to mention, I think he looks GORGEOUS in it!!!
(Well, you can't see the quality in these pics, but trust me.....it's as nice as those I was seeing at the Men's Wearhouse. I am taking it to be dry cleaned and pressed tomorrow)
Tomorrow, I will be making a wrist corsage, since I can't seem to find any online with the flowers she wants. Fortunately, I know how to do this. I have a few places to try and have it custom made, but I am worried that it is too late for that. Besides, if I can save money doing it this way too, then why not???
6 comments:
cannot see it :(
I accidentally published before I had made the post....just had the title :)
Awesome SCORE of the day!!!
He looks sharp too!!!!!!!
Absolutely meant to be I tell ya! You know I'm the thrift store queen. He is VERY handsome, and tell him I'm so proud of him for suggesting checking the Goodwill. You NEVER know what you're going to find. Not a person at the prom will know he didn't spend a fortune on it! I'm so proud of you two! Have a great time at the prom Cory!
This whole story impresses me...that your son is cognizant enough of finances to understand and not pout; that you found these amazing goodies; and how AWESOME he looks! I think he should be going to the prom with thrifty Hannah who found HER dress in a clearance rack because it had a little stain on it. I think she paid less than $50. Her dad's friend the drycleaner handled the stain for her!
Woohoo! What a screamin' deal!! Luckily my Prom go-er is in orchestra and has his own tux, but he asked me yesterday to sew a bow tie and cumberbund for the dance TODAY! (Love the notice.)
I'm in Mesa and Janna asked me if I knew you, so I came to check out your site :)
Post a Comment