Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Getting Into My Farm Wife Mode.

The man we are renting from has herds of sheep and goats. We have a yard full of weeds. So, we had him extend the electric fence around a large part of the acre we are on. Now, the sheep are all around the house. Along with the burro who herds and tends them. Yes, there is another jackass living at my house now :) The burro is sweet. She follows me around when I walk through the field. She likes when I feed her hay or weeds, but she really wants to take a nip of my fingers. She is just being playful, but I know firsthand what equine teeth feel like. OUCH! The sheep will come to me if Molly and Stiffler aren't around. However, they ran from me today. Probably mad that I was monopolizing the burro's time. So, I get to have a farm, without the work or responsibility. It's a win-win. And our landlord has asked the kids to gently approach the sheep and get them used to people, so that they aren't people shy when he sells them. The kids are REALLY loving this!!

My kids have shown a marked lack of responsibility when it comes to caring for animals. Just ask their pets who are more often fed by me. But, they have been getting better about it. So, we are planning on letting them join 4-H and raise an animal for the fair. We will start small, chickens and goats maybe. Perhaps some rabbits. Then they can work their way up to a steer. I regretted not doing this when I had the chance, so I am trying to be supportive of their wish to do this. It's hard though because I worry that I will end up raising the animals, and I just don't have the time.

So, I am feeling the inner farm wife these days. I ran screaming from this life. And for the life of me, I cannot understand why I did.

No comments: