Thursday, November 06, 2008

I am a Momma Goat

My landlord stopped by this morning with a little gift for us. He has had a problem with kids being rejected by their mothers, and has been looking for homes for them. We asked for one, and so he let us know that the next one was ours. This one though, isn't a newborn. It's a 2 week old kid that just isn't being kept warm and getting good milk from it's mother. We are going to do our best for it, but it doesn't look good. The little guy seems to be suffering from Floppy Kid Syndrome, which can be fatal. All I can do is keep him warm and fed. We don't have the meds on hand to treat him, and by the time we get them it will be too late. The next 24 hours are crucial. The good part is: I have him warm, he took 3 ounces, and he is holding his head up again. I will give this little guy my all.

He reminds me of Molly. She was a difficult feeder too. The way I see it, I have experience here. I can do this.

This is our little baby goat.




No name yet, the children will name him when they get home. They don't even know about him yet, because they were at school when he arrived. What a surprise when they walk in. Notice how interested Pooh Kitty is in the baby. She is now, sleeping on the bed, next to his box on the floor. He is covered in towels and old t-shirts and fleece with a heater (basically a blow-dryer in a box housing) next to him. It seems to be working. He is warm and becoming more alert. I am cautiously optimistic.

I won't ask you to actually pray for my livestock, but maybe think a good thought or two.

EDIT*** Well, I found out my goat is actually 1-2 days old. And he doesn't have Floppy Kid Syndrome. It's hypothermia. I found out when my landlord came by again. I asked more detailed questions. And, I got another kid! This one is the same age, his dam died overnight.

This is Spunky, named for his spunky demeanor. I have named the other one Floppy :)



The box is too small for both of them, so they are now in Molly's playpen. She climbs out of it, so it is useless for her. It's now a goat pen. Which I will need when I take them to work with me tonight!

As of 1:30PM MST....Floppy took another 4 ounces, and he did it STANDING!!! He is going to be fine! Now we are angling for the 3rd goat LOL! Then each child can raise one for the fair next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - you go girl - they are soooo ADORABLE - I am praying for Floppy - I LOVE all animals and would be doing the same thing!! Keep us posted!

Amy said...

Oh, they are adorable! Enjoy!

ZeeLV said...

Dude! That is SOOO cool! Contrary to what you may believe, I DO enjoy your livestock stories, haha!

Lisa said...

Those are some cute kids :)