Another Thought or Two Regarding Harry
OK.....You know the drill. There are spoilers below. If you don't want to read them, then go no further.
Are you still here?
OK, here goes. I was in the shower and I had a couple of thoughts.
First: about the discussion that Hagrid overheard between Snape and Dumbledore. If Snape was really going to betray Dumbledore, would he really have had a discussion about it? Or would he have kept silent to make sure that all went well for the Dark Lord? Of course he would have played it cool. Rocking the boat is the last thing that one would do when planning a betrayal. The discussion was Snape trying to get out of having to kill Dumbledore.
Second: Does it seem oddly coincidental that the attack takes place on the very night that Dumbledore and Harry go to get the horcrux? I mean, what are the odds? Dumbledore had been in and out of Hogwarts doing things all term, and yet this particular night.... Dumbledore chose this night to get the horcrux, because he knew the attack was coming. I think Dumbledore knew that there was no way he would survive Voldemort's spells while recovering the horcrux. He took Harry with him both as a help because of Harrys unquestionable skill and bravery, and to protect Harry while the attack underway. If Harry had been at Hogwarts when the attack began, he would undoubtedly joined the fight, thus endangering himself at a time when Dumbledore would be unable to protect him. However, Dumbledore had to allow the attack to go through and allow Snape to play his part. Snape proved his loyalty by killing Dumbledore (a mercy killing btw, because Dumbledore knew he was going to die) but the killing sealed his seeming commitment to the Dark Lord. The line that Dumbledore says to Malfoy when the Death Eaters are about to kill him, "No Draco, it is my mercy and not yours that matters now." It was truly an act of mercy on Dumbledore's part to give his life to protect a student.
Honestly...is there anything that happens at Hogwarts that Dumbledore is unaware of? Sometimes...yes, as with Barty Crouch, Quirrel, etc. But he always seems to know what Harry and the other students are up to. Do you really think he had no idea what was going on this time? He has some magical ability to know where everyone is and when. But he didn't know that Malfoy was using the Necessary Room to leave the grounds????????? He knew, and he allowed it to happen. And the conversation with Snape was also about finding out when the attack was coming and how and who. The night of the attack, he had teachers and OP members patrolling the halls while he was gone....but not Snape. BUT NOT SNAPE!!! McGonagall seemed to think that Snape didn't know the Death Eaters were coming, as she stated at the end. How many times in the past has Snape been first on the scene when something is coming? He didn't want to have to use drastic measures with Malfoy, he wanted Malfoy to trust him. But the man can read minds and make veritaserum and clear memories. Come on....he knew. He got the info and was waiting until time to play his part. As directed by Dumbledore.
Third: Just food for thought. When we learn Snape is the HBP, he yells at Harry, " And you'd turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father" Oh my!!! What spell did James Potter get hold of and use on Snape? Hmmmmmm?????? Did James have access to that spellbook also? Who else knows/knew that Snape is the HBP?
An aside....I still think that Harry was given that book on purpose. He had trouble in potions, because of Snape. Perhaps Dumbledore, knowing this, found a way to rectify the situation. Have you ever given someone a textbook to use? Would you look in the book before giving it? I always look to make sure everything is in order with the book. Slughorn was working with Dumbledore and they made CERTAIN Harry got that book. Of course, Snape was left in the dark, also on purpose.
That's my little bit for today. What do you think?
1 comment:
Hi Dena,
I loved reading your thoughts on Harry. I read the book again after lending it out to everyone in my family! (I know, serious addiction problem!)
I agree that Dumbledore knows everything. I think he knew what Snape was going to do and let him do it. I'm still so torn on what side Snape is on. A part of the book that caught my attention on the 2nd round was the Christmas party. Snape drags Draco into the bathroom and trys to get it out of Draco what he's up to (while Harry is listening). He notes that Draco was using Occlumency. Snape also protected Harry and wouldn't let him use an unforgivable curse. He said he wouldn't kill him because he was leaving him for the Dark Lord, but that could be part of his cover. I think the spell you're wondering about was Levicorpus - which was in the potions book and which Harry saw his dad use on Snape in the pensieve. But I think that's an interesting point too that Harry got the book on purpose!
Did you see Entertainment Weekly a few weeks ago? They had a pro/con on Snape and their theories about the next book too. Some good stuff.
Post a Comment