Monday, November 14, 2005

The Darkness Within

Dang Pattie. That challenge of yours is going to haunt me. To do or not to do. That is the question. A little over a year ago, Barry and I got into an argument about the amount of time I spend scrapping. He accused me of living in a fantasy world, where I am scrapping what I wish my family was.

Ouch.

I try to get to good and the bad. I never pretend that my house is clean, or my kids are perfect. I don't pretend to be the ideal mother. My husband isn't the man every woman wishes she could have. I acknowledge our faults and foibles. At least I hope I do. But the question remains, am I really getting down to reality. Yeah, there is a lot in my life that is really dark. Really painful. And I just don't go there. Not because I don't trust my scrapping family to not suddenly see me as a monster/object of pity/freak etc. But because I just don't want to go there. My therapist (whom I haven't been to in way too long) would probably say I need to scrap the darkness because I don't want to. She would be right. I just don't think I am ready. I have touched on a few things in past layouts. One page really hurt my mother, which was not my intention. I didn't even think she would see it, but the day I posted was the day she decided to browse my gallery. And the page was just about as mild as could be.

I probably will scrap the darkness. But I won't ever post it. I will likely just burn those pages to DVD and leave them in a safe deposit box until I am dead. Sounds terrible doesn't it. Somewhere around this house is an exercise I did when I began therapy. I had to draw a trauma egg listing what I saw as the biggest traumas in my life. I did 3 eggs and didn't even get to the current stuff. I never showed anyone but my therapist. It was deep stuff and even my therapist was a little flabbergasted.

But even though the darkness is still there inside of me. I have learned to live with it, and surround myself with light. Does that make sense? I feel very proud of who and what I have become in spite of the past. And the present for that matter. I am still an optimist. I still see the good in almost everyone. I still love and want to be loved. I take joy in the simple and the beautiful and the profound. Hope and faith guide my days. I have refused to let myself use the past as an excuse to give up on life. But.....it isn't always easy, and sometimes I get lost in depression.

So yes Pattie, I accept your challenge. But you're just going to have to take my word for it.

Hope this didn't scare anyone LOL! I'm not dangerous to anyone but myself ;)

5 comments:

janna said...

WOW Dena,
I do not know what the challenge is.
But, you are just HUMAN, I have the same feelings... " I never pretend that my house is clean, or my kids are perfect. I don't pretend to be the ideal mother. My husband isn't the man every woman wishes she could have. I acknowledge our faults and foibles."
My life is not perfect, far from it.

For instance, the first thing out of my DH's mouth, "WHERE IS A )$*%)@* clean towel?" Instead of Happy Birthday...

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Scrap the bad things just for the therapy

LOVE YOU, my scrapping sister

Jo said...

Yep. I agree with Janna. I don't pretend cause there's no sense pretending!! I love my life the way it is. Course "BK" (before kids) it was more organized, clean, dust free AND dull!! lol~noone's perfect and just imagine the dullness if we all were... Not to mention that within everyone there is some darkness~just got to know how to let in the light like you've done Dena:) I'm not feeling up to scrapping for Pattie's challange yet.. Maybe tomorrow.

Jo said...

BTW~LOOOOVE the new header!!!! Very cool:D

Anonymous said...

BIG HUG Miss D!

Anonymous said...

Well my girl...you did it didn't you? And it is amazing. Not only a visual thing of beauty, but an inspiring, thought-provoking piece of journaling that left me with my jaw agape. Your journaling always shows your "realness"...that is what attracted me to your layouts in the first place...oh so long ago now. I wouldn't have thought it possible to like you any better than I already did...until I saw your challenge layout. You are one of the most courageous, down to earth, finest people I know Dena. I'm so proud to call you my friend.