Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Holiday House

Every year our school puts on a holiday house. They gather items and sell them to earn money for the PTO. I realize that it's to earn money.....but I HATE!!! holiday house. For the entire week that it is open, my kids beg me for money to buy stuff. And the stuff is junk! Plastic balancing birds and Avon soap on a rope. The items are marked up to unreasonable amounts in order to make a profit. And woe to the parent who doesn't participate, because the kids cry when their friends get something and they don't. I really don't like this tactic. Some kids really do use this to buy gifts for their families...and they can do it all by themselves. But the stuff is SO overpriced! I can get the same stuff at the dollar store. Imagine...$1.00 for a small rubber ball. $1.00 for those Avon lipstick samples. Well, I guess I am a Scrooge.

I gave the kids money this morning to get themselves a little treat. But, I didn't like it! And the gifts for each other...those came from Walmart.

4 comments:

janna said...

UGH, I agree. Here they have book firs every 3 months. Same crap with high prices and books thrown in too!

I stay clear from them.

OH our PTO does popcorn every firday for .25cents a bag. That was the best thing they ever came up with.

janna said...

fairs

ZeeLV said...

Blech, I can SO relate! There were three fundraisers, one right after the other, during the first three months of school, ARGHHH! I would much rather donate a check than to buy the crap that they offer.

Anonymous said...

oh that just burns me on principle... don't get me started...

Ann