The Direction of Scrapbooking
When did scrapbooking become such a commercial endeavor? When did it become more important to get published than it was to preserve memories. What has happened to scrapbooking in the past few years.
Lately, I have seen these questions being asked on various boards. I have to say, I am with them. I can remember, just a few years ago, refusing to "jump on the bandwagon" with every trend and hot embellishment. I refused to fussy up the look of my pages and detract from the memory. I couldn't see any reason to pay more for newer elements than I was already paying for paper.
But, about a year after I switched to digital, I got caught up in the frenzy. Hurry hurry, make more elaborate pages, jump on the latest trend, get on a design team, submit or die....you get the picture. And something happened. I lost my mojo.
Repeatedly.
And what for really?? When my kids look at scrapbook pages, they barely even notice the design. They look at the pictures of themselves, read the journaling, and relive the event that might otherwise have been lost and forgotten. That is why I began scrapbooking to begin with. My kids could care less whether there is doodling on the page commemorating their birthdays, or if I got published, or even if my style is simple or elaborate.
I have been scrapping for all the wrong reasons. I have become a feedback whore. I would do a page and hope that everyone liked it, instead of doing a page to preserve a wonderful memory or message to my children. I was always trying to outdo my best work. And don't get me wrong, this medium as a creative outlet is still fantastic. But why did it have to become work? Why did I feel this obsessive need to try new things, for the sake of newness. And not because it looked fun.
I put my family on hold doing this. I was so busy scrapping, designing, commenting, that I put everything else second. Did you know, that a year ago, I would spend 2 hours a day minimum in the galleries commenting? WTH!!!
Is it any wonder that I got burned out?
And so, it is time to reevaluate my priorities. I am still going to scrap. But I am doing it for me and my kids. I am not going to post much. And I am going to avoid galleries and boards. I will promote Maya's work and enjoy Janna's template challenge. But that is all. I need to get back to the roots of scrapping. And I do plan to scrap.
I will maintain my blog, and be better about commenting on other blogs. I will post my layouts here for the family members that look here but never comment. And to share them with some of my good online friends. But I can do this because it's about sharing rather than feedback whoring :)
This has really been cathartic for me. I wonder if anyone else understands....But for me, it's time to jump off the treadmill and just enjoy a leisurely walk through the forest.
7 comments:
I agree with every word you have said Dena!! I comment A LOT , but the winter is the only time I have to do this - and I truly enjoy strolling through the gallery at SBB - so much talent!! But, I couldn't care less if I get comments or not - that is not why I scrap - although I did struggle with this awhile back. What gets me is the sheer amount of designers out there - now that is getting nasty too!! I do wish I could create kits - but that doesn't look promising anytime soon - ummm.. like never!! It all seems kind of like being back in kindergarten in a way! LOL! You take care - give Molly a smooch and a squeeze!!
Yep. I get it Dena! lol!! Laughing because you are sooo right:) I can honestly say I have NEVER done a page for a reason other than because I wanted to. I can say I only do my page designs to suit me and if others liked it that was GREAT;) In fact I used to thrive on the comments and yep I spent tons of time commenting about 2yrs. ago I guess...not because I wanted them back though. In fact I was convinced that I didn't get comments on my stuff BECAUSE I commented on theirs but now I'm convinced otherwise. I still post...and I like some of the boards BUT (and here's the kicker) I started feeling as if my pages weren't any good. I don't have time anymore to comment. Not without sacrificing either time with my family or scrap-booking time (that's why I don't have hundreds of pages in galleries) and guess what? Since I can only do comments sporadically now I barely receive any comments on my own stuff. It did bother me at 1st. Now it doesn't. I might be getting involved in the industry however I don't want fakeness and I won't stand for it. I'm proud to honestly say that I create 1st and foremost for ME and know that my family does and will appreciate it:) I refuse to sacrifice my happiness with this hobby with a feeling of "it better look like THIS"! lol I've never applied for a CT and never will. Maya is awesome cause she understands that we have LIVES to live! I've agreed tentatively to a few other things and we'll see how it goes. I have to do these things on my terms or scrap-booking will just become another boring job and I can't have that. This is the only creative outlet I've really got. I respect your decision and do know quite where your coming from! Sometimes turning off the internet all together is the best idea...
I hear ya! I used to LOVE to scrap, and now I don't care about it at all. I just got sad about all the competition, and I slowly stopped posting, and now I really only work on my photography. I'm SO glad I know all of you guys though. You're the best little online family. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Great post!
dido...
I have never been published, never been on a design team,
I hardly every post coments or surf galleries anymore,
& YES, I sell, but I use my own stuff, and the extra $ helps...
Love your work Dena!!!
Did you get my email??
(I was a feedback whore too)
Bravo, D!! *hugs*
love, me <><
I just found your blog today when I saw a comment in leeandra's. I SO RELATE TO EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID.
Post a Comment