Saturday, October 06, 2007

I am at a Loss......

I am so far beyond angry right now. I don't know whether to scream or cry with rage.

Here is what happened today. I was at Willy's soccer game. The coach had asked his daughter to be the line referee, and she wasn't happy about it. She kept complaining, until finally the coach said to her

What do you want me to do? I have a bunch of lazy Mormons over here!"
At first I was shocked. And then....I got ANGRY. I mean REALLY FREAKING ANGRY!!!!!! 1st of all, it was wildly inappropriate for him to say, whether I am Mormon or not. Second of all, the SOB never even asked this "lazy Mormon" if she was willing to be line ref. (I would have been willing, but I had another game I had to be at.) And, third....and to my mind the biggest....when I coached this SOB's son 4 years ago, he NEVER ONCE offered to help me with anything. In that age group, the coach sets up and takes down the mini-goals and cones that delineate the fields. I did this BY MYSELF, each and every game. This man never helped me with practice (I have helped him with practices). Because of work commitments, he rarely even made it to a game. So who does he think he is calling us LAZY!!!!????

I was so mad that I started getting loud. And profane. So I walked off the field. On the field next door, Cory's coach was MIA, so I stepped in there and worked off some of my rage. The league commissioner came to the field on another task, and I talked to him for a bit. He was upset about the comment, and offered to talk to the coach for me. I told him I would handle it (at which point he laughed.....he knows me and he knows I can handle myself).

But here is why I am at a loss. I don't know how to handle this. A BIG part of me wants to take Willy off the team. But, Willy isn't aware of the issue and seems to like his coach. I have to say something clearly? What do I say. And how do I keep my temper in check when I do so? If I went to the commissioner and requested a team change, he would accommodate me. But that would leave the three other LDS boys on this team. We could all walk, but then the team would have too few players to play.

The coach knew I heard him. He ignored me when I responded to him on the field. He knew where I went to. He made no attempt to apologize while still at the field. I have no reason to expect him to acknowledge his error at all. He has my email, phone and cell phone numbers. I have heard nothing.

Do I get in his face? Do I call him? Do I send him a scathing email? All of the above? None of the above.

Help me out everyone. I really need some advice on this one. The next practice is Monday at 4:30PM and I need to decide my course of action by then! Thanks in advance!

2 comments:

janna said...

He sounds like a pig~ Sorry

ZeeLV said...

Uccchhh! What an ass!! I know you already said you weren't going to make a big deal out of it, but if it were me, I'd probably still say something to him. I'd let him know that I was terribly offended by his comment and would hope that an outburst like that wouldn't happen again--at least within earshot of anyone. Most men are dense...and just because YOU think you made it clear to him how you felt by being loud on the field, it doesn't mean he got it. Hope things get better chicky. (((HUGS)))