Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Heartbreaking

I see a lot of "behaviors" on the playground at school. Kids who tattle. Kids who fight. Kids who whine and complain. But sometimes, I see things that break my heart. Today was one of those days.

The first incident involves a little boy in second grade. Mom is out of the picture. Dad is raising this little guy alone. Dad is trying to get in the military but is having a hard time due to a criminal record (I have ascertained this from talking to the little guy.....watch what you say to and in front of your kids!!! They will repeat it!) Dad works late nights at a local Taco Time as his second job. He can't afford late night sitters, so his son goes to work with him and sleeps in the back room. This little guy has some anger management issues, but he is such a sweetheart. I have even forgiven him for telling me "screw you" because of his sweet and sincere apology. Today, the little guy stole something from the Holiday House at school. Everyone saw it. Everyone tattled. My heart was broken for the little guy. He didn't have any money to buy this hot item that all of the other kids were buying. So, he took it. Yes, he was wrong. But my heart breaks that this little guy had to steal something that all of the other kids were able to buy. He shouldn't have done it, but doesn't it just make your heart hurt?

Second incident involved a fourth grader. Now, on a daily basis, I have some kid whining at me to make a friend play with them or make the kids play different game that the whining kids prefers. I, of course, ignore such requests and advise the whiny child to play something else. Today, fourth grade boy was sitting alone at a bench. This little guy is a sweetheart that I know outside of school too. I asked him what was wrong. Without whining, he explained that he doesn't like football and all of his friends were playing football. He didn't ask me to make them change games. He just smiled bravely, told me he felt lonely (complete with one tear which, in spite of his fourth grade manly effort to hold back, escaped down his cheek) but he was OK and would be OK. He understood that his friends wanted to play football, that was fine. He was just lonely. I LOVED that this little man accepted that he was just going to be alone that recess. And he accepted that. But he still expressed his feelings. He broke my heart. Later, in the cafeteria, he was reading his fortune from his fortune cookie. I came up behind him and pretended to read the little nickname and joke we have been sharing for about 2 weeks on his fortune. I patted his back and went back to my duties. But, as I walked away, I turned to smile. He was already looking at me and smiling this huge smile (and his eyes were filled with tears). My already broken heart shattered again. What a sweet boy. What a tender heart. I resisted the urge to call his mom and let her know he was having a bad day. After talking with Barry, we decided that calling his mom might make him feel like a baby. Especially since he was taking it like a man. But, tomorrow.....I think he will get a secret little treat.

2 comments:

janna said...

We have the same problems at our school. Devin is the biggest & tallest kids in the 5th grade and in the whole school. He is picked on and sometimes the bad kids try to get him to do bad things, but he is like the kind hearted kid, and ignores them.
Last month, in the computer lab, him and one of the bad kids in his class logged in to the computers with there own names and then somehow the bad kid got him to switch computers. The bad kid looked up how to have S*x and several swear words and the principle gets a print out of red flagged things in the computer lab.
Long story short, Devin did not do it but had to do the punishment and did not say anything tell the principal called on the last day of punishment. I always tell him to be tuff and use your body strength in your favor, but he won't.

Do you need a code to download my new digi stuff?

Thriftin and Craftin said...

When I worked at the school last year, I saw some things that broke my heart too! Some of their backgrounds are tragic, and yes it does make my heart hurt that these little guys have to live such a life day in and day out. You're a great influence Dena. Maybe you'll make a big difference in some of their lives. I miss my job. I hate that those people I worked with were so mean to me. I took my job seriously, and I had a lot of compassion in my heart for all the kids. You're so sweet to care so much!